Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fata Morgana by William Kotzwinkle




Fata Morgana by William Kotzwinkle, illustrated by Joe Servello

I'm not going to lie, I 100% bought this book because of the cover. My local bookstore had a 1st edition in amazing shape from 1977 and I took a chance on it without really reading the description. What's not to like, mysterious shadowy man leering over a prone have naked woman in a giant moon mask. It's basically a detective story in Paris 1861 with the detective trying to build a case against a magician and his beautiful wife. Loved it! The characters were great, the feel & dialog acceptibly noir and I loved the scenes where the book included these amazing toys. That aspect of the story reminded me a lot of some of my favorite Steven Millhauser's short stories.

Pumped I picked it up and would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment