Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hockey Talk #1- Boston Bruins



I'm a huge hockey fan. The lockout was absolutely brutal, especially because it was really just about money, but now that it's over it's in the past and I'm loving the shortened season. I'm thinking I want to start writing a bit about hockey on an ongoing basis. Just my opinions and maybe touching on different subjects like underrated players or different aspects of the game. We'll have to see where it goes.

As I'm a huge Bruins fan it makes sense to start talking about this years team. So far they're playing great out of the gate. Team is healthy overall, especially considering the shortened season. As of today we're leading the northeast by only 1 point with a game in had despite starting off 8-2-2. The majority of the team is back with most of the stars locked up for a least the next few years.


FORWARDS


All the analysts say that forward depth is a huge strength of the team and it's hard to argue with essentially 2 top lines, 2 guys on the 3rd who can easily be top 6 forwards & arguably the best 4th line int he game.

Top Line
Milan Lucic, David Krejci & Nathan Horton

I like this line a lot, Lucic & Horton are best friends off the ice and their chemistry with Krejci is really strong. Krejci has been his normal brilliant playmaking self and the 2 bruisers on the wings help create a lot of space. Personally I would like to see Seguin & Horton flip, I would like a little more speed on this line and a little more size on the second line. But hard to argue with success

2nd Line
Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron & Tyler Seguin

Bergeron is finally getting the respect he deserves across the league as one of the best if not the best defensive centers in the game. Marchand is arguably the better sniper between him and Seguin and still continues to annoy the opposition which I love. Again I'd love the switch with Seguin & Horton here but this line is incredibly dynamic and is often used against the other team's top line for defensive reasons.

3rd Line
Chris Bourque, Chris Kelly & Rich Peverley

This is the only like I'm not a huge fan of. Kelly & Peverley are more 2nd line guys so the depth is great to have but I'd like a big bruising left winger. Peverley is really fast but Kelly is a slower straight line guy so I'd like to see a physical left winger to go in there, throw his weight around and create some pace on the ice. Not that I don't like Bourgue I do but he's a scrappy guy who can provide some secondary scoring, I like all 3 guys but I just don't like the combinations of this line.

4th Line
Daniel Paille, Gregory Campbell & Shawn Thornton

Great 4th line, they can log lots of minutes, are defensively really strong & create a lot of energy when they're out there. Hopefully Thornton is ok after getting concussed in a game with Buffalo last month. He hasn't dropped the gloves since but it could just be the game situations.


DEFENSE


I think as a group the defense tends to be slightly underrated, especially when compared to the teams forwards. They play great team defense often limiting the other teams top line to minimal scoring and can all move the puck to their forward to transition into offense.


Top Pair
Zdeno Chara & Johnny Boychuk

What is there to say, Chara is a perennial Norris Trophy candidate & Boychuk is a responsible shut down defense man. Both have howitzers for shots and can cover for the other when they chose to pinch.

2nd Pair
Dennis Seidenberg & Dougie Hamilton
Love this pairing. In my opinion Seidenberg is an incredibly underrated dman because he doesn't put up a lot of points. But he shuts down the opposition, hits as hard as anyone on the team not named Chara and blocks a ton of shots. Great pairing with Dougie allowing him to take more offensive chances.

3d Pair
Andrew Ference & Adam McQuaid

This pairing is love hate for me. Ference is fine for a 3rd pairing guy I guess but he turns the puck over way too much for my liking. Quaider is one of my favorite guys on the team, hilarious and I love it when he drops the gloves. Pound for pound I would think he's one of the toughest fighers in the league.


GOALIES


Tuuka Rask & Anton Khudobin

With Timmy deciding to stay home with a good old FU to the Bruins by not retiring, I've been really happy with the goalies. I'll forever be grateful for Timmy's role in winning the cup but his speaking out publicly then refusing to speak to the media irritated me and if he had retired the Bruins wouldn't have to take the cap hit. Tuuka is a legitimate #1 and Khudobin has filled in nicely.


POWER PLAY


Continues to be shockingly awful. Luckily the penalty kill is brilliant with Bergeron, Kelly, Chara & Seidenberg really shining.


All in all I'm really happy with the team and think they have a real good chance at making a deep playoff run. Go Black and Gold!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment