Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fires by Raymond Carver



Fires by Raymond Carver

I picked up this used books for $2 at Longfellow Books, my favorite independent bookstore and couldn't believe it was so cheap. I've been reading Carver's short stories here and there in anthologies for years but had never read any of his poetry so I was pretty excited to read the book. This book includes 2 short stories, a bunch of poems and 6 short stories. The theme of drinking & darkness is present in almost every piece. I drink a lot but feel a little better about it after reading this. One story that really stood out in this collection is So Much Water So Close To Home, it's a story about a woman dealing with her husband returning from a fishing trip with a story where he at the very least didn't have the best ethics and at worst did something unbelievably evil. I also liked the first poem in the book Drinking While Driving

No comments:

Post a Comment