Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hockey Talk #2 - Top 10 Favorite Current Playing Ex Bruins



Hockey Talk #2 - Top 10 Favorite Current Playing Ex Bruins

I've been watching a ton of hockey now that I have the center ice package and I realize that there are just some guys who played for the B's who I continue to root for whenever they aren't playing us. I'm limiting this list to guys who are still in the league and actively playing. Full disclosure if Timmy was playing for the Islanders he'd still be on the list. I know he's a nut job but I'll always be grateful for the cup and loved watching him every time he laced up the skates. If any hockey fan says they don't like watching him make those ridiculous saves they're full of shit or a Canadiens fan. Even then they can shove it because even though I hate them I can admit that Guy Lafleur was one of the most exciting players to ever play the game. But I digress, without further delay here are my top 10 favorite ex Bruins playing today;


10-Vladimir Sobotka


Good guy to start with, all heart. Loved his scrappy style and insanely long stick that always seemed to be in a good position to break up a pass or a rush.

9-Steve Begin


Another bottom 6 forward, heart guy. Great energy whenever he hit the ice and when push came to shove could drop the gloves and take care of business.

8-Dennis Wideman


Sometimes I'm not all that thrilled with my fellow Bruins fans and the way that Wideman was boo'd out of town still pisses me off. Not the most physical guy but a good defender and with all but 1 year always did more than his fair share offensively. Smooth skater, played the point on the power play and great positionally. I was sad to see him go.

7-Brad Stuart


Guy came into town in almost the worst of circumstances and endeared himself to the fans with his style of play. Guy hits like a truck, rarely gets burned and logs a ton of minutes. Seems like a great character guy & leader too.

6-Brad Boyes


I was a huge fan of Bergeron & Boyes who were quickly nicknamed the killer B's when they joined the Bruins as rookies. He hasn't found the level of success he did with the Blues after being traded for Wideman but he was a huge reason I went from being a fan to an obsessed fan.

5-Benoit Pouliot


Top 6 talent, big & strong with great hands, what's not to like? Seems like he's really taking advantage of his top line ice time in Tampa and I'll be surprised if he's not a perennial all-star moving forward. When he was with the Bruins I think his size, speed and hands was a huge part of the 3rd line having consistent scoring success.

4-Mark Stuart


How do you not like a stay at home defenseman that the training staff dubbed Caveman Strong? Guy hit almost as hard as Chara and was a fantastic stay at home dman. He reminds me a lot of Dennis Seidenberg who is one of my favorite guys on the team and one of the most underrated guys in the league. I hope the fans in Winnipeg realize how good Stuart is.

3-Michael Ryder


He always got a lot of shit for being inconsistent but I don't see it, lots of the high end scorers are streaky. Very few Bruins in the last 10-15 years have ever been as exciting to watch whenever he has the puck by the goal and he's got one of the best releases in the game today.

2-Blake Wheeler


If I could play GM and reverse any single trade since my #1 it would be the trade that send Wheeler & Stuart to the Thrashers. I like Peverly just fine but still think we got the worst end of the deal. Blake is playing great in Winnipeg, he's really big, strong and a true sniper. I love watching him play and get nervous whenever we play them, especially on the road.

1- Joe Thornton


How do you not love a guy nicknamed Jumbo? The excitement when he was drafted overall was amazing to experience and he's lived up to every expectation. No one has ever explained to me why the Bruins made this trade & the excuse of him not going to the front of the net enough is pure bullshit. Second worst trade in the NHL ever behind Gretzky to LA and I assume that was all done to expand the game in southern California. I'll always have a huge soft spot for Jumbo and as long as it doesn't keep the B's from getting it I hope he can retire as a cup winner before he's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment