Friday, February 22, 2013

Tenth of December by George Saunders



Tenth of December by George Saunders


Loved this book of short stories, they had all been published before in magazines or literary magazines but I had only read a couple before. I've been hearing a lot of comparisons between George and Karen Russell. I guess I understand the basic comparison as they both write creative short stories who have fantastic prose as well as basic stories. But to me that's where the similarities end, they're both so different stylistically and their topics are so completely different. Don't get me wrong they're both 2 of my favorite authors but I don't see a direct comparison.

The stories included in this collection are;

Victory Lap
Sticks
Puppy
Escape from Spiderhead
Exhortation
Al Roosten
The Semplica Girl Diaries
Home
My Chivalric Fiasco
Tenth of December

I was going to give a brief summary of each story but I don't want to give it away. One of the things I like best about Georges work is that he sometimes take a little while to let the story develop before cluing you in on what it's really about. There were a couple stories in here that were pretty impactful because of it, especially as his writing style fools you into thinking they might be completely silly and not poignant. His final story Tenth of December was a great way to finish as it, for me, really stopped and made me think about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment