Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sudden Flash Youth




Sudden Flash Youth edited by Christine Perkins-Hazuka, Tom Hazuka & Mark Budman

This is a collection of 65 short short stories often referred to as flash fiction. I found this book tucked into a shelf of anthologies at my favorite local bookstore and was immediately excited as I love flash fiction. When done right is absolutely amazing how much can be put into a story less than 1,000 words. This collection was also fun because youth was the unifying theme and I think the majority of the stories were relatable. There are obviously too many peaces to single out but a few of my favorites were;

The Flowers by Alice Walker
This little story about race & loss of innocence is brilliant. Crazy how repulsed I was from a story of less than 2 pages.

Homeward Bound by Tom Hazuka
This deals with the complicated issue of social issues revolving soldiers returning from Vietnam.

Accident by David Eggers
I've actually read this before and this time around it struck me as just as brilliant and has one of the best lines I can remember reading.

"In a moment of clarity, you finally understand why boxers, who want so badly to hurt each other, can rest their heads on the shoulders of their opponents, can lean against one another like tired lovers, so thankful for a moment of peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment