Sunday, March 3, 2013

Interventions by Richard Russo & Kate Russo




Interventions by Richard Russo & painting by Kate Russo.

I went to the release party for this book at Longfellow Books in Portland where Richard & Kate spoke about the book and then were nice enough to sign it. I was told that the design of this book provided difficult to produce as it's 4 collected books collected together in what I think of as a sleeve. I meant to read the book right away but I've been afraid to damage it as it's so nice. I really like the art that are inspired by each story, it's a nice idea and they talked a lot about how despite being father & daughter they've never worked together on a project before.


The Whore's Child


An elderly nun crashes a college advanced fiction class and tells her own story through the semester long story she tells. She didn't have a particularly happy life as the art with her bloody childhood shoes show.


High and Dry


This is a memoir piece from Richards childhood dealing with his issues of the slow decline of his childhood mill town. It's also deals with his relationship with his mother. I found it really interesting and liked it a lot. The art is purely about the town as in his childhood it thrived because of a glove making factory.


Horseman


This story I read a long time about but didn't remember it all that well that I honestly don't know how to sum up. The main character is an English professor how's having a bit of a midlife crisis and having a hard time feeling connected to her husband and disabled child. Really well written, I felt I could empathize with the main character and her sense of feeling a bit lost. The art is from a child's poem that's interwoven throughout the story and it's the art piece I like best. By far.


Intervention



This was the last story I read in the book, I think because the blurb interested me the most. It's about a middle aged realtor coming to terms with being newly diagnosed with cancer. Sad but hopeful, nice little story. The art is from a listing that he's trying to sell where the owner won't move her boxes of possessions out of her house so it'll be easier to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment