Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Proxy Marriage by Maile Meloy


Obviously The New Yorker has been putting out some ridiculously awesome fiction for years and I've been absolutely loving my subscription. I wanted to single out the short story The Proxy Marriage by Maile Meloy that was in the May 14th issue. If this story doesn't get shortlisted to every 2012 anthology I'm going to be shocked, it was so good! This story is about a boy who falls in love with a girl in high school but she has no idea. He continues to be in love with her as both of their lives take them on different paths but they keep coming together when they come home from various things to take place in proxy weddings where they stand in for marriages between soldiers stationed oversees and their women back home. I think we can all relate to loving someone who doesn't feel the same way and for me this brought up some seriously strong emotions. The writing was fluid and Maile's ability to jump forward in time between sentences was extremely well done. Sad at times, uplifting at others this is a story I'm going to remember for along time. I have a collection of her short stories and reading this one just bumped it up on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment