Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Movie Review - Goon


Goon is the only movie I can think of that I've watched twice in two days since I was a kid. I'm a little biased because I'm such a huge hockey fan but I think this is the best hockey movie since Slap Shot and I bet I'm not alone. Seann William Scott was amazing playing the main character Doug Glatt who's a lovable idiot who kicks a lot of ass. Doug's best friend Ryan played by Jay Baruchel is a wisecracking hilarious ahole that's the perfect caricature of a lot of massholes I grew up with right down to the lines shaved into the side of his head. The love interest Eva is played by Alison Pill a small town girl who's adorable in a very real sense. There are basically 2 story lines in the movie, Doug's rise to becoming a great minor league enforcer & a love story with him and Eva. Doug's rise to the top involves a showdown with Liev Schrieber's charater Ross Rhea an aging enforcer at the end of his career and he's awesome. I think Liev is one of the most underrated actors in the game and that includes his portrayal of Rhea. Some of the things that make the movie great are just how dumb Doug is, the play between how nice & polite he is and how brutal he is in fights, great plays on a lot of stereotypes and small things like Liev's character smoking getting ready in the locker room while rocking an amazing mullet. The hockey scenes were pretty realistic and well done. George Laraque, one of the best enforcers in his day played a small role and was a great touch for NHL fans. The fights themselves were mostly over the top and insanely fun to watch.

There were a lot of great jokes that are way too inappropriate to repeat here but my favorite is in a scene that starts with Eva running up to Doug crying and Doug says in all sincerity "What's wrong, did you just watch Rudy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment