Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Zoetrope: All-Story Winter Vol. 15 No. 4



Zoetrope: All-Story Winter Vol. 15 No.4.

I hate to say this because I'm such a huge fan but this issue wasn't great. While the stories were all good, none of them blew me away. The guest designer Ryan McGinley did all nude photos and here are a couple examples;




Pretty cool art but again nothing that was truly amazing or iconic. The other issue with the issue is that the paper was completely different making it feel way more flimsy in the hand.

As I said the stories were all good and included the following;

PEOPLE THAT DON'T EXIST by Shani Boianjiu
This was an interesting story about a couple women involved in people from Sudan escaping their country to go to Israel.

THE REDEEMERS by Ethan Coen
An extremely short play about a couple good old boys who have just killed their pa when the law comes a callin.

I'LL BUY YOU A SHOVEL by Jon McGregor
I'm not really sure what this one was about. I know what the surface story was about but no idea what the author was really trying to say. Meh

ONE AFTERNOON AT THE BAKERY by Yoko Ogawa translated by Stephen Snyder
I really want to like this one but was disappointed. I think it was just a preference thing as it was a very near miss for me as it reminded me of Murikami.

ATE/MENOS OR THE MIRACLE by James Lasdun
This is another one I'm surprised I didn't like. Lot's of potential here for things I like including mistaken identity, then assumed identity, then bedding of hot woman, then busted. Sounds awesome right? Right. But again it was just ok not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment