Tuesday, December 27, 2011

McSweeny's 39


McSweeney's 39

I absolutely love getting my subscription to McSweeney's in the mail and can't wait to see who's in the edition, how it's formatted, etc. This issue is another traditional book and it was an enjoyable installment. Not my favorite but there were a few amazing pieces in it and a lot of good ones. The problem with McSweeney's putting out a really good issue is that they've set the standard for greatness. I can't say a thing bad about the issue and I enjoyed it a lot. My favorites pieces in this issue are;

Carlos the Impossible by J. T. K. Belle about a star matador's longtime battle with an indestructible bull Carlos. This one was absolutely amazing and my personal favorite.

50 Ways To Eat Your Lover by Amelia Gray that I thought was going to be funny but ended up being awesomely sad. By far my second favorite, I had 2 people read it right away.

Benjamin Bucks by Jennie Erin Smith, a non fiction piece about a reptile smuggler. It takes a special person to smuggle reptiles in their underpants.

The Neochileans by Roberto Bolano. I have a soft spot in my heart for his work. I can't say I understand all of it but I like it.

Politics and Conscience a speech by Vaclav Havel that was politically and interesting.

Chick Killer by Elmore Leonard an awesome little story about a woman of the law telling her dad about taking down a bad man by being in the right place at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment