Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Journals by Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.



Years ago I read a glowing review of this book in the NY Times book review. It talked about how amazingly insightful the book was, how charming the author and about how rare a look into this period into American history. My dumb ass decided that I should branch out as a reader and use this opportunity to read and learn. $40 later, the book sits on shelf for years making me feel guilty. Finally I resign myself to read it and began in September, early September. Last night I finally gave up at page 723 of 849. I would sit down to read as if punished giving off a sigh that would reinforce my girlfriends opinion that I'm not right in the head. Now that being said, Schlisinger was an extremely interesting man, an excellent writer, insightful and involved heavily in the democratic party since the 40's. I loved reading his notes about JFK & RFK learning a lot. After RFK was assassinated I should have stopped reading as that's where the literary journey turned laborious. Not really sure what I was thinking here, I don't read a lot of non fiction, I'm not political and I have absolutely no idea who 90% of the people he talked about were. For anyone who is into politics and don't mind reading someone's notes about stuff for an insanely long time this book is for you!

I would after reading it pick up his book 1000 Days about JFK someday. Just not for a while until I discover the joy of reading again...

No comments:

Post a Comment