Friday, October 14, 2011

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell



Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

This is the first book I've read after the bet to finish 30 books out of my collection before adding anything new. Heather bought it for me as a surprise present because she knows how badly I've wanted to read it. I'm a big fan of Ms. Russell's work ever since I first read her short story Vampires in the Lemon Grove republished in the 2008 edition of Best American Short Stories. Her imagination, humor and voice are amazing and what makes me such a huge fan. I loved her book St. Lucy's Home For Girls Raised by Wolves and was interested that she flushed out the last story in that collection into this book. Swamplandia! is an amazing book about a family of alligator wrestlers who are dealing with the loss of the mother and prime star of the show. It's fast paced, darkly funny and amazing.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Boston Book Festival where Ms. Russell will be part of a talk that I bought a reserve seat for and I'm ecstatic. I hope I get to meet her and get a book signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment