Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Podcast Crazy

About a month ago I was going through a box and found my really old 8 gig Ipod and to my surprise it still works great. When I fired up Itunes I decided to see what was out there for podcast and I found some amazing ones. The sports ones I've been listening to at work while I get done the mindless parts of my job and the others I've been listening to mostly on walks with Heather's dog Sailor or just tooling around Boston. Currently I'm subscribed to the following;

New Yorker; Fiction


This has been my absolute favorite podcast. Each month a current author picks one of their favorite stories to read from the New Yorker archives with a conversation between them and the fiction editor Deborah Treisman. The great thing is that all of the podcasts are available from when it started in May 2007. So far I've listened to 12 episodes and they've all been great. It's interesting listening to why the authors liked the story they chose and they provide insight into the story through the conversation. When I met Karen Russell and Jennifer Egan I told them both that I loved their episode and both were very modest and funny about it. Karen Russell chose to read The Jockey by Carson McCullers and Jennifer Egan chose The Reverse Bug by Lore Segal. Both stories were fantastic and they were both authors who I doubt I would have been exposed to otherwise. Another thing that's interesting is seeing whose stories were chosen by multiple authors. So far Donald Barthelme stories have been chosen three times and John Updike along with John Cheever stories have all been chosen twice.

New York Times Book Review


This one is hit or miss for me as they tend to have a lot of non fiction authors reviewed and I tend to read more fiction. Always well done and interesting but most of the time I won't buy the books they're talking about.

Freakonomics Radio


I've downloaded a ton of these but have only listened to a couple. They're fascinating and I'm not really sure why I often choose to listen to other podcasts first. Maybe they're have an issue about what motivates people to prioritize things they way they do.

The Moth


I love The Moth. It's true stories told live on stage without notes & there is usually a theme for each live event. These stories are always amazing and a must listen for anyone who likes great stories. My favorite so far was by Bokara Legendre telling about how she tried to get rid of her mothers big game hunting trophies after she passed away.

NPR Books Podcast


This is another one I've downloaded but haven't listened to a lot. The one's I've heard have been good though, I've enjoyed listening to Juan Williams & Terry Pratchett talk about their books.

Poetry Off The Shelf


Poetry is a genre that I like when I pick it up but have a hard time reading for any amount of time. Over the course of my adult life I've picked up a lot of poetry books that have gone half read so this is another attempt to expose myself to some good poetry writers. I've listened to a few episodes and they've been good so far but again, I keep listening to other things first.

PRI Selected Shorts


Another great story podcast. I just listened to an hour of Etgar Keret read by different actors. He's crazy talented and have loved every story from him I've come in contact with. This is right up there with my other favorites.

This American Life


I was really excited when I remembered about this podcast. I always like to catch the show but I'm rarely in the car when it's on and is the only time I listen to the radio. Can't say enough good things about the program. I've learned a lot listening to it over the years.

BBC World Book Club


This is a monthly podcast where an author talks about and takes questions about their most popular book. I listened to 1 episode but without reading the book it was kind of boring. I have queued up Annie Proulx, Richard Ford, Barbara Kingsolver & Jo Nesbo as I'd like to read their book then listen to the podcast.

ESPN Fantasy Focus


There are actually two, Fantasy Focus Baseball and Football. Both are done by Steven Berry & Nate Ravitz who are absolutely hilarious. I listen to these guys every day as I'm doing the really tedious part of my job and it really helps the time fly by. One of the ongoing jokes is that there's not much practical fantasy advice and it's just jokes but I've often been really helped by listening to how they evaluate players.

ESPN Hockey Today


Huge hockey fan here and it's a good quick podcast about topics around the NHL.

Hockey Night Online


Put out by Hockey Night in Canada it's the audio from their daily tv half hour show. I love the Hockey Night in Canada guys although it doesn't have the brodcast crew they're really knowledgeable and fun to listen to. Sometimes it's a little off as they're referencing a video that you can't see but otherwise it's really good.

Puck Podcast


This is a weekly show out of the LA market by 2 hockey radio guys. I like listening to it as they're a little move focused on the West so it's a great way to increase my knowledge of that division as I'm a huge Bruins fan and far more knowledgeable about the East.

To sum up I think Sailor has benefited the most from the podcasts as I'm talking her on longer walks more often as an excuse to listen. Here she is resting after a particularly long walk

No comments:

Post a Comment