Sunday, March 17, 2013

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan




Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan
Book 7 in the Wheel of Time series

While this is the seventh book in the series, this is the second book I've read recently after originally starting the series years ago, probably around 2001. While I've definitely matured as a reader since then I still love well written fantasy stories and epic fantasy so it's been refreshing to I've enjoyed getting back into the books but I'm hoping they didn't peak early. I still love the characters, the series plot and the world Robert Jordan has created. My complaints with this book are two fold. One, I didn't really feel like much happened until the end which is ridiculous for a book of over 1,000 pages. Two, he really needed to hammer home the war between the sexes a little ridiculous. I can definitely get past the feud between the sexes however annoying, but the story not progressing is becoming a bigger issue. I think part of the issues is that the story is just taking on such a huge scope that it's hard to include all the plot lines & characters while having them all advance in a significant way. I'm starting to get a better appreciation on why George R.R. Martin kills off so many characters in The Song of Ice and Fire series. Hopefully the upcoming books all have their individual story lines building up to a big series finale, we'll just have to wait and see. Despite those issues I still enjoyed the book and will probably see the series through to the end regardless as I'm only 1 book shy of the halfway point and I hate leaving things unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment