Thursday, July 14, 2011

22 of 30: Flash Fiction Forward




Flash Fiction Forward 80 Very Short Stories, edited by James Thomas & Robert Shapard

Absolutely one of the best anthologies I've read in a while both talent wise and conceptually. Each piece was limited to 750 words or less and had to truly be a story. It's amazing to think of how much can be conveyed in such a short story. Out of the 80 stories there were only a few that I didn't really like and most I thought were fantastic. Because they're all so short I had a hard time summarizing them in any meaningful way that didn't give away too much so I decided to just list my favorites;

Jumper Down by Don Shea
Sashimi Cashmere by Carolyn Forde
Baker's Helper by Cynthia Anderson
Sleeping by Katherine Weber
Currents by Hannah Bottomy
Rose by John Biguenet
Why You Shouldn't Have Gone In The First Place by Samantha Schoech
Words by John A. McCaffrey
The Black City by Leonardo Alishan
Nicaragua by Kirk Nesset
Parrot Talk by Kit Coyne Irwin
Drawer by Rick Moody
00:02:36:58 by Bayard Godsave
The Mesmerist by Michael Knight
Toasters by Pamela Painter
Diagnostic Drift by Michael Martone

The Voices In My Head by Jack Handy was my second favorite story in the book. I always loved the deep thoughts segments from SNL and this story would have fit right in.

Accident by Dave Eggers. This story was my favorite and has the best line in the book;

"In a moment of clarity, you finally understand why boxers, who want so badly to hurt each other, can rest their heads on the shoulders of their opponents, can lean against one another like tired lovers, so thankful for a moment of peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment