Sunday, July 3, 2011

20 of 30- The Best American Poetry 2010

The Best American Poetry 2010 Guest Editor, Amy Gerstler & Series Editor, David Lehman



I've been reading this book off and on for a few months. I like poetry but find it hard to sit down and read it for long periods of time. Instead I like to read a few poems and put the book down. That way I let them sink in and can give it the time to absorb. I think modern poetry is quite a bit different from classic poetry as it seems to me that the classics are mostly about the prose where modern is mostly about making you feel. I have no idea really, just what I think.

The poems that really stood out to me were;

Ugly Man- Dennis Cooper
Four "Addresses"- Peter Davis
I never went to that movie at 12:45- Dolly Lemke
Letter to the Past after Long Silence- Sarah Murphy
Q- Sharon Olds
Vectors 2.3: Fifty Aphorisms and Ten-Second Essays- James Richardson
From "A Jar of Balloons or The Uncooked Rice"- Matthew Yeager

The book is worth picking up just for Four "Addreses" and I highly recommend it for anyone who's interested in reading some poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment