Sunday, May 1, 2011

14 of 30- What-The-Dickens by Gregory Maguire




I picked this book up at a used bookstore because as I'd read Wicked as well as Mirror, Mirror and liked both. The book didn't have it's dust jacket so I didn't know what the story was about and when I learned that it was about a rogue tooth fairy I thought that it might be pretty good. A tooth fairy who snaps and goes all commando would be fun. Loaded up with more guns than can reasonably be carried with some sort of twisted agenda or out for vengeance would have been amazing. Instead, what it really was about was an orphan tooth fairy who didn't know he was a fairy & tried to lean/fit in as he went along. It sucked. Story was boring and never picked up. Seemed disjointed and unorganized. The only good thing was that the actual writing was fine, my criticisms are all about the shitty concept not the execution. Too bad too because Wicked was great.

To sum up, Yay Wicked, boo What-The-Dickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment