Friday, May 20, 2011

Audio Book- Black House by Stephen King & Peter Straub



I just finished listening to Black House by Stephen King & Peter Straub. It was read by Frank Muller who did a fantastic job. The story was 21 discs and I'm not sure how many hours but I've been listening to it on my daily commute and it's taken just over a month. Black house is a sequel to The Talisman one of my all time favorite novels about a 12 year old boy Jack travels on an epic cross country adventure flipping between 2 worlds in a quest to save his mom. Black House is a story in which an adult Jack helps end a crime spree of a particularly nasty serial killer of young children which gets more complicated as it is connected to the other world he traveled to as a kid. Both books are heavily connected to the Dark Tower series which centers around Rowland trying to save the Black Tower which is the nexus connecting all the different worlds in existence. I first read the books when I was in my late teens, reread The Talisman a couple of years ago and was surprised when I liked both stories just as much as I remembered. Jack is such a great character and it was fun to read a King book where the hero is heroic rather than his normal use of atypical heroes. My only slight knock on the book is that the final showdown with the bad guy was a little quick and somewhat less challenging than I felt like it should have been but that's probably because the lead up was so good.

1 comment:

  1. Must be an enjoyable read Black House by Stephen King. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete