Friday, May 10, 2013

The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan




The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time series.

Unless whoever is reading this has read the earlier books a plot summary isn't going to make a ton of sense so I'm leaving it out of this review. As I continue to read this series I'm enjoying it but have a few minor critiques. The pace of the books are really slow. I believe the biggest reasons for it are the sheer number of characters, plot lines and Jordan's writing style. As a contrast, The Song of Ice and Fire series has the same issues with characters and plot lines but always felt fast paced and exciting. For me it helps that I'm reading the series now that it's completely published so I can just right from book to book making it feel more like series in a huge book. I can only imagine fan's reactions after anxiously awaiting each book to be published only to have the plot move along in small steps.

While I like where the series is going some character development or lack there of is a little concerning. Rand, the main character, is turning into someone who's a little hard to like. There's literally the weight of the world on his shoulders so I understand why he's not exactly happy go lucky but it would be nice if he was slightly more endearing. Hopefully this will change soon but at least he's an interesting character so we're not in real trouble yet. Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be a ton of other character development, most of the characters haven't really changed a ton from when they were introduced. It just might be that the series will end up being mostly plot driven which is fine but interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm also starting to get a little concerned that the final battle that the series is building up to can't possibly live up to the hype. I mean 14 books all building to 1 final battle of good v. evil? That's a lot of pressure! One of my most frustrating reading experiences was being left so unfulfilled at then end of Shogun by James Clavell. Really hoping it's the most epic of all epic battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment