Wednesday, August 3, 2011

24 of 30- The Best American Short Stories 2010





The Best American Short Stories 2010 edited by Richard Russo & Heidi Pitlor

I’ve loved this series ever since I started reading it in 2006. Around that time I was branching out and picked this series up in order to find new authors. In addition to finding some of my favorite authors it also exposed me to publications where the stories were originally printed. So between finding amazing authors and publications it’s probably had the greatest impact on my reading in the last 5 years. This year’s stories were chosen by Richard Russo with help from the series editor Heidi Pitlor and I don't envy the job. Well kind of, they've read some some amazing stories. Looking through the section of other distinguished authors at the end of the book gives a rough idea of how hard the choices must have been. Among many others Ann, Beattie, Amy Bloom, T.C. Boyle, Jonathan Franzen, A.M. Homes, Stephen King, Jonathan Lethem, Stephen Millhauser, Joyce Carol Oates & George Saunders all published stories that were passed over. Joshua Ferris, Tea Obreht, Lori Ostlund & Maggie Shipstead all had at least one other story that was considered with the one chosen. Maybe I'm naive but I have to assume that if the stories included in this addition were chosen over ones by some of the absolute best writers working today then these stories made it based on their merits and not those of their maker. The thought for some reason makes me very happy.


Steve Almond. Donkey Greedy, Donkey Gets Punched
Great story about an aging psychologist who gets the gambling bug for a bit of an escape. He treats a professional gambler and the tension goes from there.

Marlin Barton. Into Silence
This interesting story is about a middle aged deaf woman living with her mother in the heartland during the depression when a mysterious stranger comes to stay with them.

Charles Baxter. The Cousins
Great little story that includes one of my favorite quotes of the book especially because the story itself is kind of sad;

“Once, back then in my twenties, all I wanted to do was to throw my life away. But then, somehow, usually by accident, you experience joy. And the problem with joy is that it binds you to life ; it makes you greedy for more happiness. You experience avarice. You hope your life will go on forever.”

Jennifer Egan. Safari
The first of my top 3 literary crushes to appear in this series. I’d already read this story twice and enjoyed it just as much this time around. If you haven’t read A Visit From the Good Squad you really should, that Pulitzer was well deserved. This story is about a music producer bringing his family on a safari vacation and deals beautifully with a lot of family dynamics.

Danielle Evans. Someone Ought To Tell Her There’s Nowhere To Go
This story is about a soldier just returned from the dessert dealing with the horrors of war trying to reconnect with his ex girlfriend through babysitting her daughter.

Joshua Ferris. The Valetudinarian
Interesting story about a lonely old man in Florida in poor health. He’s miserable and drives everyone away from him by incessantly talking about his health. His last friend sends over a prostitute for a birthday present and things pick up from there.

Lauren Groff. Delicate Edible Birds
This memorable story is about a group of war reporters during WWII who end up in a bad place after coming across a house while out of gas that is occupied by Nazi. A powerful story that’s sure to resonate long after the book has been read.

Wayne Harrison. Least Resistance
Nice little story about a young mechanic who has an affair with the wife of his boss and mentor.

James Lasdun. The Hollow
James was another new author to me. He was easy to read and wrote about rural neighbors.

Rebecca Makkai. Painted Ocean, Painted Ship
This is the third story I’ve read from her and I’m convinced she’s one of the strongest authors of short stories working today. Fantastic story and one of my favorites this year.

Brendan Mathews. My Last Attempt to Explain to You What Happened with the Lion Tamer
A love triangle written from the perspective of a clown who’s in love with a trapeze artist who’s hooking up with the lion tamer. It made me think of the Big Cat Habitat and is another standout in this list.

Jill McCorkle. PS
Love the concept of this story, it’s a letter written to a psychologist by a former patient to give finality to the counseling.

Kevin Moffett. Further Interpretations of Real-Life Events
I’m familiar with some of Kevin’s works as a contributor to McSweeneys and I’ve always liked his stories. This is a writers story about an author whose dad picks up writing as a hobby and is much better than his son.

Tea Obreht. The Laugh
Tea is another one of my top 3 literary crushes right now and the primary reason I’ve lamented so much about my bet to read 30 of my own books. I fell in love with The Tigers Wife when I read it in the New Yorker and it’s the first book I’m checking out or buying after I’m done with the bet. I’m not going to lie, I was nervous reading this story because I was afraid it couldn't live up to my lofty expectations. Luckily, my fears were entirely unfounded.

Lori Ostlund. All Boy
This story is about a precocious boy who’s parents are going through marital issues. Really well done and will be one I remember.

Ron Rash. The Ascent
About a boy whose parents are junkies living in a rural mountain town. Makes me glad my parents are awesome.

Karen Russell. The Seagull Army Descends on Strong Beach
The third of my top literary crushes. I’ve read her book of short stories and plan on picking up Swamplandia in short order after the bet is over. Can't say enough good things about how imaginative and wonderful her stories are.

Jim Shepard. The Netherlands Lives with Water
The first of two stories from a McSweeney’s issue about a city 25 years into the future. This one deals with a city in the Netherlands being flooded due to global warming. It’s also about a marriage that’s not so good.

Maggie Shipstead. The Cowboy Tango
Another love triangle story. This one is about an older ranch owner who falls in love with a ranch hand who doesn’t love him back but falls in love with his nephew who briefly falls for her. It’s sad & powerful and makes me want to read a lot more of her work.

Wells Tower. Raw Water
This is the second story from the McSweeney’s about the future and is written about a town in the dessert that was created by flooding it with salt water to make a community in the dessert. Wells is also becoming one of my favorite short story authors and one I’m looking forward to reading whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment