Saturday, January 15, 2011

Zoetrope: All-Story Winter 2010 Vol 14 No 4



This is the second issue I've read and will probably subscribe because they've both been so good. The format is 5 short stories with 1 person in charge of art design. In the issues I've read all the art mixed into the magazine were done by the same artist but I'm not sure if that just happened to be a coincident or if it's a concistent part of the magazines. The art throughout the issue are pictures chosen by Thurston Moore artistically painted on by his wife Kim Gordon. Thurston & Kim were founding members of Sonic Youth and the pictures are all old school pictures of families and friends covered with abstract paint. The overall impression is often haunting & I enjoyed them a lot.

Lieland by Etgar Keret is a story about a man who finds a world filled with lies made real. It was quick & fun while not earth shattering.

Holiday by Gerard Donovan is about a girl who while watching tourists in her seaside tourist home town takes off with a Pram. To me it's a little more interesting as the main character is a woman written by a man. At first we're not sure if the Pram has a baby or not and the whole story takes place within a couple hours.

No Matter How Many Times I Read Your Confession, There's Only One Thing I Just Don't Understand: Why Didn't You Kill The Woman by Ryu Murakami has probably the best title for a short story ever! I don't want to give anything away but it's an interview with a prosecutor going over the details of a confession. The story lived up to the title, well, as much as possible being as epic as it is.

Gardeners' World by Julian Barnes is a story about gardening that's really about a crappy marriage. Ok, not my favorite.

The Real Bad Friend by Robert Bloch was another great story. Bloch, I have learned is the author of Psycho and this story, written in 1957, Bloch created a character very similar to Norman Bates. I'd rather they had told me that after reading the story rather than in the intro as I immediately knew the twist as the story unfolded. That being said, it was interesting and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment