Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Arabica & Scarborough Grounds

Besides reading, traveling & doing fun things I also love coffee. I particularly like cafes and my current two favorite cafes are Arabica & Scarborough Grounds.




Arabica Coffee located at 2 Free Street in Portland. Last year my company moved across the Old Port to about a block away from Monument Square. The move was a mixed blessing as the building was new but the location in my opinion wasn’t anywhere near as desirable. Previously we were close to Standard Baking, Rosies, Shima, Market Street Eats & the heart of the Old Port for happy hours. The only thing I like better about the location is Arabica as in my opinion they have the best espresso in town. I’ve never had the coffee but the cappuccinos, macchiatos and lattes are all excellent down to their foam art pours. The bar is large made of old wood & the tables make good use of the space. They also specialize in toast which is from a local bread company that is hearty and delicious. Well worth the cold walk to and from the office to jump start my day even on the coldest mornings.





Scarborough Grounds is located at 264 US Rt 1 in Scarborough across from the town hall & high school. The owners used to own a dark internet cafe Java Net located in the heart of the Old Port that was probably more well known as a place to hang out in the day time waiting for it to be socially acceptable to drink. This differed a great deal between social circles. Ironically, I met my ex girlfriend when she worked for Java Net and later she worked in the building that was leased and turned into Scarborough Grounds. Small world. Scarborough Grounds as a sharp contrast to Java Net is bright, comfortable, typically filled with smart fairly affluent non or at least high functioning alcoholics. They also have great espresso although not quite where Arabica is but they also have good lunch options & a great bakery selection. During one of my healthiest hangovers I couldn't understand if a cookie was huge or if the head of the girl eating it was extra small. As it turns out it was a little of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment