Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pinkie Swear Regarding New Books



After discovering my book buying problem I've entered into a pinkie swear not to purchase another book until I've read at least 30 books and/or quarterly literary magazines that I or Heather own*. My parents have extended my subscrition to McSweeney's so those don't count & I negotiated that new issues of Zoetrope are ok too but that's it. Pinkie Swears can not be broken and I'm taking it seriously with the full knowledge that it isn't going to be easy. I've already cancelled my Kindle subscription to The New Yorker to comply with the intent of the promise.

Today I put together a list of books that are either on my shelves at home, at my desk at work, on my Kindle or at Heathers and I actually came up with 52 books and literary magazines off the top of my head. I actually have quite a bit more than what's included on the list but I don't want to overwhelm myself. The list below may be edited as other currently owned books as of 1/26/2011 may be replaced but it is the rough reading guide for at least the next 52 weeks. The library may only be used for audio books and borrowing books from friends is prohibited.

My goal is to power through 52 books in the next year and make a giant dent in my library. The list is in no specific order.

1. McSweeney’s 36
2. McSweeney’s 35
3. McSweeney’s 27
4. Granta 108
5. Granta 111
6. Best American Non Required Reading 2010
7. Best American Short Stories 2010
8. Vonnegut – Armageddon In Retrospect
9. George Saunders- In Persuasion Nation
10. Chuck Palahniuk- Lullaby
11. JD Salinger- Catcher in the Rye
12. Rick Moody- The Ice Storm
13. Playboys college stories
14. Sara Vowell – Assassination Vacation
15. Dennis Lehane - Coronado
16. Blaze Ginsberg – My Life As I See It
17. Stephen King - Under the Dome
18. Stephen King- All Dark No Stars
19. Karen Abbot- Sin in the Second City
20. Sara Gruen-Water For Elephants
21. Stieg Larsson- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
22. Stieg Larsson- The Girl Who Played With Fire
23. Stieg Larsson- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
24. David Eggers – A Heartbreak Work Of Staggering Genius
25. Hemmingway complete short stories
26. Tin House 46
27. Tin House 45
28. Tin House 44
29. Tin House 43
30. Tin House Heaven & hell
31. Salmon Rushdie – Midnight Children
32. Nicole Krauss – History of Love
33. Chris Cleave- Little Bee
34. John Connolly – The Book of Lost Things
35. Gregory Maguire – What the Dickens
36. Haruki Murakami – Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End Of the World
37. John Hatcher – The Black Death
38. TC Boyle – The Road To Wellville
39. Richard Russo – The Straight Man
40. Maile Meloy - Both ways is the only way I want it
41. Eric Larson – Thunderstruck
42. Arthur M Schlesinger, Jr.- Journals
43. Arturo Perez-Reverte – The Club Dumas
44. Arturo Perez-Reverte - The Flanders Panel
45. Alice Monroe – Open Secrets
46. Jorge Louis Borges – Ficciones
47. Heather’s Ecotone 6
48. Heather’s McSweeney’s 14
49. Heather’s McSweeney’s 8
50. Heather’s McSweeney’s 16
51. Heather’s McSweeney’s 4
52. Heather’s Paris review book

*(The reader reserves the right to declare a book shitty and bail at any time with no partial credit to be awarded)

No comments:

Post a Comment