Thursday, November 7, 2013

Final 4 Wheel of Time Books and a note about the Prequel




Quick review of the final 4 books of the Wheel of Time and the prequel New Spring

These 5 books kind of killed my October. I was plugging along thinking about how the series was a lot of set up and that Rand was becoming insufferable and then a switch was flipped and I couldn't put the books down. I was consistently staying up until the wee hours of the night burning the candle at both ends, I had an addiction. Since I've finished them I've kind of burned myself out from reading and have just been casually reading short stories and slowly reading a couple other books. But I can't match the frantic pace I set last month. I read New Spring in order of publication so I read it between books 10 & 11. It was a nice fun read focusing primarily on Moriane & Lan 20 years before the start of the series. It was a much lighter read and provided some good insights into the Aes Sadai. Honestly I was nervous about the final 3 books as I'd never read Brandon Sanderson and wasn't sure if he'd do a good job but he was excellent. His style is a little quicker than Jordan's was but he kept the essentials there and did a fantastic job with the characters. I won't give anything away but at one point Rand has a huge shift and with it the entire series pivots with him towards the final battle. The slow middle books were worth it for the ultimate payoff. While I still prefer good old George RR Martin & JRR Tolkien, this series is in the conversation for one of the best epic fantasy series out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment