Friday, November 15, 2013

Audio Book - Dr. Sleep by Stephen King



Audio Book - Dr. Sleep by Stephen King read by Will Patton

I love audio books. There's nothing else quite like listening to a someone read a story. People will probably say the nostalgia brings you back to your childhood but I think it's more than that. Yes it reminds me of being read to as a kid or listening to Spiderman & Lone Ranger stories on my record player but I think it's also about slowing things down and being in the moment. It's such a fast paced world with seemingly whatever entertainment you want literally within iphone reach. But listening to a story takes time, can't be rushed and gives me a lot of peace. Anyways, this specific audio book was great. I was a little worried that as the sequel to The Shining I'd be disappointed especially when we find early on in the book that Danny "Doc" Torrence was on the path of being an alcoholic loser. Luckily he finds AA and pulls himself out of it. The book revolves around him and a young girl Abra Stone who has an even bigger gift of the shining than Danny did as a child and a group of monsters who feed on kids with the shining. The story stands on it's own and had moments where it terrified. The reader Will Patton was also quite good, especially with the male characters. I'd recommend reading the Shining first because a couple scenes wouldn't be anywhere near as scary out of context but I really liked the book.



















No comments:

Post a Comment