Monday, August 5, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman



The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Loved it, absolutely loved it. I'm not saying I have an unrequited love affair with Mr. Gaiman's books, but I totally do. I've read a lot of great books in the last few years but few authors have that ability to sink in the hook where I can't put down the book despite literally losing sleep like he does. The good news/bad news situation here is that this is a short book so the obsession is a brief strong flash rather than a long affair. Not to get off on a tangent but I love how this book felt like it was exactly the right number of pages. I think a lot of authors are edited into the best selling number of pages, typically around 400, and I think a story should be as long or short as it naturally is. But I digress. While I'd love to explain the magical story that Neil masterfully puts to paper I'm not going to, it needs to be explored not laid out. What I will say is that the story is full of wonders & terrors with a good amount of typical Gaiman humor. Brilliantly written, great characters and impossible to put down. American God's & Good Omens are still my favorites but this is in the conversation for my next favorite Gaiman book and that's saying an awful lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment