Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Audio Book- The Shining by Stephen King



Audio Book- The Shining by Stephen King narrated by Campbell Scott

My recent run of audio books continue with The Shining. I've read a ton of King but oddly haven't read a lot of the classics before now including The Shining, Carrie & Kujo. It's possibly because I thought I knew what the stories were about but I'm not positive. In any case I'm kind of glad because it's really nice to go back and read the classics. Some of the themes of his career are seeded in this book, an atypical hero, a strong sense of good v evil forces and strong foreshadowing for example. I see a lot of Jack Sawyer from The Talisman in Danny Torrance and that's strong praise as The Talisman is one of my all time favorite books of all time and my favorite by King (co authoring counts). Both are children that have extraordinary powers tying to battle evil forces that are attacking their parents and you can't help but put your full support behind them. While I prefer King as a narrator, Campbell Scott did and amazing job and the argument can be made that he's better at the job because of his range of character voices. He also managed the scary scenes really well, there were quite a few scenes that were really creepy and I think if the narrator wasn't excellent he could make the scenes come off as campy.

No comments:

Post a Comment