Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Zoetrope : All-Story Spring 2012



I just subscribed to Zoetrope and this is the first issue. Last issue I was disappointed with the stories bu this one was amazing again. It included 3 new stories by Bennett Sims, Jim Shepard & Rajesh Parameswaran, a story by Ingmar Bergman about a film & included art from Wayne White.

The Bookcase by Bennett Sims
This is a story about a man who tells his favorite party story on This American Life and he ends up looking like a huge d bag. Great story and I'm a fan of Ira Glass in any form fictional, non fictional or cartoon.


Cretan Love Song, 1600 B.C. by Jim Shepard
Short little story about a family when the volcanic island of Thera blows up. There is a brief period between the blowing up and the destruction hitting the main character and this is when the entire story takes place.


On the Banks of Table River (Planet Lucina, Andromeda Galaxy, A.D. 2319) by Rajesh Parameswaran
Nice little piece of science fiction. A little bit of alien coming of age and a little bit of horror.


Cries and Whispers by Ingmar Bergman
I liked this story a lot. Ingmar Bergman wrote and directed this 1972 movie and this is basically a concept piece and not part of the screen play or fully finished short story. I enjoyed the parts he wrote about how certain things should feel or give the impression of as much as the story itself.


Wayne White's art
I wasn't aware that I was familiar with Mr. White's work but the blurb about him said that he was the set designer for Pee Wee's Big House. After looking at his art I'm not surprised, he's zany and I have no idea what to think of any of his paintings. They all have huge words in the paintings usually out of some bright, varying colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment