Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pastoralia by George Saunders


Pastoralia by George Saunders

George Saunders hast to be one of the most interesting original voices working today. His writing is funny, smart & different from anyone else. He's another author who I tend to gravitate towards when he's included in anthologies and this is the first book of exclusively his stories that I've read. While it was really short, I'm glad I read it as the stories were excellent. His use of language is interesting where he seems to break some of the most dark elements in his writing by using works like wonky or he'll say that someone bonked someone instead of punched which completely changes how it's read. The's a sillyness that comes through even when he's being most critical and dark that reminds me a lot of Vonnegut. The writing is completely different but both men have a way of infusing silliness into their stories without making them silly and it's a bit like magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment