Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review: The Best American Short Stories 1990


The Best American Short Stories 1990 edited by Richard Ford

So one day a couple of years ago I had a strong buzz going and decided to buy every Best American Short Story book from as far back as I could. Based on what I could find on Amazon used that meant from 1990 on. Long story short I bought them, lined them all up on a shelf and haven't gotten around to reading them. I heard Debra Treisman discussing on the New Yorker Fiction podcast that if you have a lot of writer friends it's hard to keep up. She made me feel a little better about my voracious appetite for reading and my limited time to do so. I'll end up reading them all and I'll keep plugging away probably when I'm reading other things. Apparently 1989 was a great year for short stories because this issue was packed full of fantastic stories from authors like Alice Monroe, Denis Johnson & Steven Millhauser. Millhauser is consistently one of my favorite short story writers and I loved this one as well. To sum up, If you see a used copy, buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment