Monday, May 13, 2013

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie



The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie

I was pretty excited to find this book at a local book store used for only $0.50 as I've enjoyed reading Alexie's short stories as part of anthologies for years. I'm not sure if it's exclusively true but everything I've read by him has dealt with his Native American roots/culture and that was true with these somewhat interconnected stories. Some of the recurring themes dealt with isolation, alcoholism, love, depression, basketball & story telling. They were often sad but always enjoyable and the writing so beautiful it sounds like poetry. I often found myself stopping to appreciate his prose and profound insights that popped up throughout the book. Personally I like readings collections of short stories by a single author slowly without reading too many stories back to back in order to keep them from blending into each other and did so here although there were times where it was hard to put down. Great book and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment