Wednesday, June 15, 2011

19 of 30- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson



Just finished reading this book on my Kindle and liked it enough to immediately start reading the second book in the series. While I liked the book I'm torn with what to write. The last thing I want to do is ruin the plot but it's hard to get into it a little bit without giving away too much. Basically, there were a few main stories going on that surrounded the 2 primary character Mikael Blomkvist & Lisbeth Salander. The primary mystery gets wrapped up early so it was definitely anticlimactic as that's the most exciting part but I can't see any way around it given the timing of events. There was a lot of violence that at times became graphic but for me it was disturbing because of the theme of the violence rather than the description of the acts. Hard to explain but if you've read the book you'll understand. As the primary mystery unfolded the author did a great job of maintaining the suspense & tension. The writing itself was uncomplicated with the only major challenges in understanding all the references to Swedish pop culture & history.

To me I think the biggest draw to the book outside of the sex and violence is the character of Lisbeth Salander. She's tough yet vulnerable at the same time, off the charts smart but has social issues that are very true to life for what has been relieved about her so far. Definitely looking forward to the next two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment